Monday, August 15, 2011

Two Plate Games with Gravy :-)

Yesterday I had my second plate game of the tournament.  There were some of us that were given a second plate game, and among us, we were all very happy.  I was a little upset because it was the third time we had Canada in the tournament (and the second time I had them behind the plate).  It was another mercy rule game, as it looks like Canada and EMEA in the 9th place game for the tournament.  Both teams are really nice and are having a blast.

My second plate game.

Both my plate games have been great and I am now praying that I get a plate game behind the plate.  Today is the last opportunity for people to show what they got before the selections for the TV games.  It's bittersweet because West ends the tournament 1-3, but that means I am more likely to receive a position on the championship game because my region is out.

Today we have Canada AGAIN (we will have been their crew for all of their pool play games)!  They play at 5pm on the Main Field against Central.  Central has already clinched the #1 seed in their pool, and the 530pm game is the "Win or Go Home" game today.  It's Southwest vs. Latin America.  Who ever wins will be the #2 seed in that pool.  Southeast and Asia-Pacific have clinched the top two spots in the other pool, and they play each other today.  The winner is #1 seed and the loser #2 seed.

We had the annual Salmon BBQ last night.  They also did the "Buns Awards".  The scorekeepers on the Stadium Field look right at our backsides.  They gave every umpire a nickname after a candy bar that best represented their backsides.  That's right... mine was 'Big Hunk'.  They gave us the candy bar and then a nice rating card.  It was really cool.

IT WAS AWESOME!

Today most of the umpires got up and tried to find something better to eat for breakfast.  The hotel breakfast is okay, but I can only have eggs, bacon and sausage for so long before I go nuts.  We found this place called 'Gravy' on the other side of Portland.  We drove across the river today and found it.  We waited close to 45 minutes and man was it worth it.  I had the Country Fried Steak and eggs with hash browns and a biscuit with gravy.  I will be taking a nap here soon.

I started into it, then remembered to take a picture.

TV games start tomorrow, 4pm and 630pm on ESPN 2.  Be sure to catch them (even if I am not on them, I want to here your comments on the other umpires too!).  The Championship Game is Wednesday at 4pm on ESPN 2.  Hopefully you will get to critique my work on the plate on that game :-)

Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment